MP350 Classical Mechanics
Lecture and tutorial times
LecturesThe lectures times and venues will be
- Monday 1205-1255, Physics and Chemistry Theatre, Science Building
- Friday 1205-1255, Hall D, Arts Building
There will be no lecture Friday 26 October.
The lecture on Friday 30 November will be moved to Tuesday 27 November, 1205-1255 in Hall D. The MP363 lecture scheduled for that day will instead be on Friday at 12.
Tutorials will be Monday 1405-1455 in Hall A. Tutorials will start in Week 2, with the first assignment due the following week. The deadline for handing in assignments will be 1pm on Monday, ie at the end of the Monday lecture.
The recommended textbook is
- Thornton and Marion: Classical Dynamics of particles and systems, Thomson 2004. ISBN 0-534-40896-6.
- Goldstein, Poole & Safko: Classical Mechanics, Pearson 2002. ISBN 0321-188977.
- Landau and Lifschitz: Mechanics, Pergamon 1976. ISBN 0-08-029141-4.
Lecture notes will be available here in due course.
- Chapter 1, 2: Introduction and lagrangian mechanics (updated 5/10/12)
- Chapter 3: Hamiltonian mechanics.
- Chapter 4: Central force motion
- Chapter 5: Rotations and rigid body motion (incomplete, last updated 7/12/12)
- Summary sheet on Lagrange mechanics
- Summary sheet on central forces
- Summary sheet on hamiltonian dynamics
- Summary sheet on rigid body motion
A brief list of derivations that may be asked on the exam
Tutorial problems and solutions
Note that there is no assignment due 12 November. We will instead discuss the problem given in Tutorial 6
- Problem set 1 (due 1 Oct)
- Solutions to problem set 1
- Problem set 2 (due 8 Oct)
- Solutions to problem set 2
- Problem set 3 (due 15 Oct)
- Solutions to problem set 3 (corrected 22 Oct)
- Problem set 4 (due 22 Oct)
The last part of Question 3 is optional and will be discussed in the tutorial.
- Solutions to problem set 4
- Problem set 5 (due 5 Nov)
- Solutions to problem set 5
- Tutorial 6 (for discussion 12 Nov)
- Problem set 6 (due 19 Nov) corrected 16 nov
- Solutions to problem set 6
- Problem set 7 (due 26 Nov)
- Solutions to problem set 7
- Problem set 8 (due 3 Dec)
- Solutions to problem set 8 (corrected)
- Problem set 9 (due 10 Dec)
Question 2e is optional and will be discussed in the tutorial. Note that there were several errors in the original problem set. This is the corrected one.
- Solutions to problem set 9